Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
For the first time, we are bringing virtual instructor-led expertise to your office through the synergy of multi-disciplinary trainers' knowledge that has only been delivered at conferences. And it gets better! In the past, conference presentations have been focused on a one-way exchange of know-how from the speakers to you. This workshop moves beyond that one-way exchange to allow you to apply what you have learned.
A team of multi-disciplinary experts will provide you with exceptional feedback, great insight and actionable strategies. We look forward to sharing this expertise with you.
Remember when it comes to contracts, it's not about your own thoughts and assumptions; it's about what is “written”!
What has caused these changes to industry standard contract clauses? Allocation of risk often gets modified in contract clauses based on Project Owner's or their lawyer's past experiences. The issue with modifications to contract clauses is the lack of understanding of what the clause means and its associated risks to Project Owners, Consultants, Contractors and other Stakeholders.
If the risk materializes:
- disputes arise,
- relationships are damaged,
- project costs can increase,
- schedules can be compromised,
- bidders can jeopardize their businesses and
- the potential for litigation increases.
BE AWARE: In the nuances of the prime contract clauses, there are implications to all partners including the Consultants and Subcontractors.
With decades of experience, the project partners (Owner, Consultant, and Contractor) will, from their perspectives, assist you to:
- Understand WHAT the risks are in CCDC, CCA and provincial standard contracts that have been modified by supplementary conditions
- Discover WHY these clauses are modified
- Develop strategies on HOW to address the impact of these clauses
- Apply what you have learned to determine COSTS associated with these clauses
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training
- This workshop is facilitated on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the orientation and training.
- Orientation Session (30 minutes):
- June 10 12:00 - 12:30 EST
- Three (3) morning sessions (4 hours each) over 3 days. Attendance and participation in all three workshop sessions is mandatory for workshop completion. *Please note that If a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
- Day 1: Tuesday, June 15 10:30am-2:30pm EST;
- Day 2: Wednesday, June 16- 10:30am - 2:30pm EST;
- Day 3: Thursday June 17 - 10:30 am - 2:30pm EST;
WORKSHOP REQUIREMENTS (TECHNOLOGY & PARTICIPATION)
This workshop requires full face-to-face interaction and participation from both the instructor and students. In order to attend, you must make sure you have the following:
- Computer or laptop with webcam (webcams are mandatory): This workshop will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, you must have a webcam and use a full computer/laptop, and we do not permit students to attend using a tablet or cell phone.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions: Please plan to be fully engaged in the class, and clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program.
Understanding the impact of non-standard clauses is important for all industry partners! This workshop is most applicable to mid-management personnel from the following roles/disciplines who are familiar with standard contract clauses.
General Contractors and Subcontractors:
- Construction Company Owners/Managers
- Project Managers
- Commercial Managers
Business Development Managers
Third party Project Managers (for the Project Owner)
Architects and Engineers
Bonding and Insurance specialists
Debbie Hicks, BSc| DSH Consulting - Workshop Facilitator
Dean C. Slater, P. Eng., GSC
Bill Chomik, AAA, SAA, OAA, AIBC, FRAIC, RCA – Kasian, Senior Principal, VP Institutional
Hugh Loughborough, P. Eng., GSC