29 March3 sessions, 4 hours eachOnline
Session 1Wed 29 Mar 10:30 EDT - Wed 29 Mar 14:30 EDTOnline
Session 2Thu 30 Mar 10:30 EDT - Thu 30 Mar 14:30 EDTOnline
Session 3Fri 31 Mar 10:30 EDT - Fri 31 Mar 14:30 EDTOnline
- Member Pricing $649.00 excl. Tax
- $849.00 excl. Tax
For the first time, we are bringing virtual instructor-led expertise to your office through the synergy of multi-disciplinary trainers’ knowledge that has only been delivered at conferences. Three trainers (Project Owner, Consultant and Contractor) will share their perspectives and expertise. And it gets better! In the past, conference presentations have been focused on a one-way exchange of know-how from the speakers to you. This workshop moves beyond that one-way exchange to allow you to apply what you have learned and provides the opportunity for participants to ask questions and tap into the extensive real-life experience and expertise of the diversity of our accomplished trainers.
“Learning from your own mistakes is EXPERIENCE: Learning from the mistakes of others is WISDOM. Come and experience both the experience and wisdom of your trainers.”
Obtain this training BEFORE your next project or your next CONTRACTUAL DISPUTE. Remember when it comes to contracts, it’s not about your own thoughts and assumptions; it’s about what is “written”!
What has caused these changes to industry standard contract clauses? Allocation of risk often gets modified in contract clauses based on Project Owner’s or their lawyer’s past experiences. The issue with modifications to contract clauses is the lack of understanding of what the clause means and its associated risks to Project Owners, Consultants, Contractors and other Stakeholders.
If the risk materializes:
- disputes arise,
- relationships are damaged,
- project costs can increase,
- schedules can be compromised,
- bidders can jeopardize their businesses and
- the potential for litigation increases.
It starts with reading and understanding the general conditions and associated supplementary conditions in the contract. By exploring some supplementary general conditions, you will hear from the perspectives of the Project Owner, Consultant and Contractor on why each clause exists and how to address the clause. But why? Because without awareness, you cannot mitigate or manage the impacts of the clauses!
With decades of experience, the project partners (Owner, Consultant, and Contractor) will, from their perspectives, assist you to:
- Understand WHAT the risks are in CCDC, CCA and provincial standard contracts that have been modified by supplementary conditions
- Discover WHY these clauses are modified and what they mean
- Learn that everyone interprets the clause from a different lens and what that looks like from each other’s perspective
- Develop strategies on HOW to address the impact of these clauses
Apply what you have learned to determine COSTS associated with these clauses
This course is worth two Gold Seal Credits
- Live, Online, Instructor-led training, with a maximum class size of 25 students.
- This workshop is facilitated on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the orientation and training.
- Orientation Session (30 minutes) typically one week before the course start date
- Three ½ day sessions (4 hours each) over 3 days
- The course curriculum is very extensive and requires a commitment by each participant to come prepared having read the written material circulated in advance of the course date. The pre-reading is essential to allow each participant to optimize his/her learning and to keep pace with the flow of the session in order for each individual to acquire a strong foundation of the subject matter.
- Attendance and participation in all three workshop sessions is mandatory for workshop completion. *Please note that if a student misses a class session, we are unable to transfer registration or provide a partial refund of the registration fees.
Understanding the impact of non-standard clauses is important for all industry partners! This workshop is most applicable to mid-management personnel from the following roles/disciplines who are familiar with standard contract clauses.
- General Contractors and Subcontractors:
- Construction Company Owners/Managers
- Project Managers
- Commercial Managers
- Project Owners
- Architects and Engineers
- Bonding and Insurance specialists
- Business Development Managers
- Third party Project Managers (for the Project Owner)
A team of multi-discipline experts will provide you with exceptional feedback, great insight and actionable strategies. We look forward to sharing this expertise with you.
Please note the following requirements to ensure your successful learning experience!
WORKSHOP REQUIREMENTS (TECHNOLOGY & PARTICIPATION)
1. This workshop will involve 100% on-screen interaction with the instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses.
- Computer/Laptop mandatory: Attendees are not permitted to attend via a tablet or cell phone
- Webcams are mandatory and are expected to be turned on during all course sessions.
2. Every person able to see, hear, and observe the virtual course sessions must be a paid participant. Non-compliance of this requirement will result in removal from the course. Refunds will not be issued to students who are removed from the course for non-compliance.
- Virtual backgrounds are not permitted
- Group attendance via one paid registration is not permitted
3. Students are expected to be fully engaged in the class
- Clear your work schedule just as you would for attendance in an in-class program
- Please make sure you secure a quiet space with minimal distractions
A short orientation session (30 min) with your course instructor will be held via Zoom before the course (usually scheduled in the week before). During the orientation, your instructor will go over course information and familiarize you with the Zoom tools you’ll be using.