Interested in attending? Have a suggestion about running this event near you?
Register your interest now
Construction Contract administrators play an important role in an ICI or Civil construction project. Each stakeholder including owner, prime contractor (project manager) and prime consultant will employ an administrator. While the contract serves the central role to manage outcomes, many tasks require the administrators to work together efficiently to avoid causing delays or to settle challenges that may arise throughout the project. These tasks include handling of requests for information, change orders, contemplated change notices, supply chain challenges, change directives, submittals, payment procedures and more.
During this course, participants will study and gain valuable and practical insight into:
- Articles of Agreement purpose relative to terms and conditions
- What constitutes contract documents and the order of priority of documents in the event of a conflict between the documents
- The role and authority of the consultant, versus the role of general review of the project required by authorities having jurisdiction
- Execution of the work and control of the work by the general contractor
- Shop drawings and submittals processes
- Payments and requirements under the Construction Act in Ontario
- Implementing a Change Order protocol
- Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms in contract
- Ready for Take Over and Substantial Performance
Upon completion of the course, participants will gain confidence in the following areas:
- Understanding of each stakeholders obligations in a contract administrator’s role;
- Dealing with disputes where contract documents conflict;
- Efficiently managing submittals to avoid supply chain delays;
- How to meet the requirements of prompt payment under the Construction Act including giving of notice;
- Managing a change order protocol;
- Alternative dispute resolution for unknown conditions, or conflict and when to escalate;
- Closing out the project at Ready for Takeover stage.
Owners, project managers, consultant project administrators, and GC project managers/coordinators
Handouts and lesson summaries are digital in format for all participants using a QR code for file download
Derek Smith, President/Lead Facilitator - Constructionlab
Offering clients over 25 years of construction industry experience in Canada, Derek is a trained design professional having practiced for over 15 years of his career collaborating on over $300 million in built or contemplated ICI and residential projects. As the CEO of the London & District Construction Association (2007-2012) he acted as employer bargaining agent to General Contractors in a successful strike free round (2010). In 2009 Derek led the development of Canada's first BIM training lab to be housed in an industry association and at the same time founded the Canada BIM Council (CANBIM). Derek is also a recognized mediator, in construction disputes and holds membership with ADR Institute of Ontario. His work has led to developing a firm commitment to balancing interests of project stakeholders, leading to improved on-site and organizational productivity. In 2020, Constructionlab Ltd. founded the Construction and Design Educators Council of Canada, with a mission of connecting educators, storytellers, mentors and affiliates to professional and workforce development opportunities for the industry from coast to coast to coast.