Working in Québec
The Québec construction market is possibly the most government regulated in North America and as a result has been the source of considerable Ontario-Québec friction over the years due to the impact of Québec regulations on cross border mobility of contractors and workers. This section provides a basic overview of the requirements to work in Québec with linkages to detailed fact sheets prepared by the Ontario Ministry of Labour and their Jobs Protection Office.
For general assistance or information, contact:
Office of the Ministry of Labour
347 Preston Street,
4th Floor, Suite 430,
Ottawa Ontario, K1V 7P1
General Inquiry: (613) 288-3847
Fax: (613) 727-2900
More information is available on the Ministry of Labour website
To work in Québec’s construction industry, ALL contractors must:
- Obtain a contractors license from the Régie du Bâtiment du Québec (RBQ)
- Register your business with the Inspecteur Général des Institutions Financiéres
- Register with the Ministère du Revenu
- Register with the Commission de la santé et sécurité du travail or CSST
- Register your firm and all workers with the Commission de la Construction du Québec (CCQ) Workers must join a Québec construction union.
- Register with the Association of Building Contractors of Québec (AECQ)
Full details on the registration process with links and contact information may be found in the Fact Sheet # 1 below: “Contractors Bidding and Working on Construction Projects in Québec”.
- Fact Sheet #1 – Contractors Bidding and Working on Construction Projects in Québec
- Fact Sheet #2 – Dealing with Harassment while working in Québec
- Fact Sheet #3 – Ontario Workers in Activities of Trades
- Fact Sheet #4 – Recognition by Québec of Ontario Construction Workers
- Fact Sheet #5 – Workers Performing Specialized Work
Coming to Ontario from Quebec
The Quebec government has information in both English and French for workers and companies coming to work in Ontario.
English link: https://www.travail.gouv.qc.ca/en/a_propos/ententes_lois_et_reglements/agreements.html
French Link: https://www.travail.gouv.qc.ca/a_propos/ententes_lois_et_reglements/ententes.html