Working in Québec

The Québec construction market is possibly the most government regulated in North America and as a result has been the source of considerable Ontario-Québec friction over the years due to the impact of Québec regulations on cross border mobility of contractors and workers. This section provides a basic overview of the requirements to work in Québec with linkages to detailed fact sheets prepared by the Ontario Ministry of Labour and their Jobs Protection Office.

For general assistance or information, contact:

Jobs Protection
Office of the Ministry of Labour
347 Preston Street,
4th Floor, Suite 430,
Ottawa Ontario, K1V 7P1

Hotline: 1-888-998-9959
General Inquiry: (613) 288-3847
Fax: (613) 727-2900

More information is available on the Ministry of Labour website

To work in Québec’s construction industry, ALL contractors must:

  1. Obtain a contractors license from the Régie du Bâtiment du Québec (RBQ)
  2. Register your business with the Inspecteur Général des Institutions Financiéres
  3. Register with the Ministère du Revenu
  4. Register with the Commission de la santé et sécurité du travail or CSST
  5. Register your firm and all workers with the Commission de la Construction du Québec (CCQ) Workers must join a Québec construction union.
  6. Register with the Association of Building Contractors of Québec (AECQ)

Full details on the registration process with links and contact information may be found in the Fact Sheet # 1 below: “Contractors Bidding and Working on Construction Projects in Québec”.

Coming to Ontario from Quebec

The Quebec government has information in both English and French for workers and companies coming to work in Ontario.

English link:

French Link: