22 April2 sessions, 7.5 hours eachOttawa
Session 1Mon 22 Apr 08:15 - Mon 22 Apr 16:00Ottawa
Session 2Tue 23 Apr 08:15 - Tue 23 Apr 16:00Ottawa
- Member Pricing $400.00 excl. Tax
- $500.00 excl. Tax
This course is designed to help the new and existing administrative staff become more knowledgeable about the basics of the construction industry. This course will show how various stakeholders – owners, consultants, contractors, sub-contractors, manufacturers, suppliers and service providers fit into the Industry. Participants will engage in learning activities that will enable them to appreciate project delivery from concept to closeout.
- Introduction to the Construction Industry – roles and responsibilities
- Construction Documents – bid documents and format of specs and drawings
- Tendering, Bidding and Award of Contracts – calling and receiving of bids
- Format of Contracts – features and types such as lump sum CCDC 2, CM, Design-Build, Unit price
- Other Legal – general principles of law, contract vs tort, what is a breach of contract, Lien Act
- Risk Management in Construction - insurance, performance bonds, L & M bonds, Liability risks
- Construction Project Management & Administration – start up to close out basics
Who should attend:
New employees and those in administrative support roles for:
- Contractors - Generals and Trades
- Buyers of Construction Services - Municipalities, School Districts, etc.
- Design Consultants - Engineers and Architects
- A must-have course for intern architects and engineers new to administering construction contracts, calling tenders and recommending award of contracts to owners
- Also, an excellent course for representatives of Owners (Project Managers and Coordinators) who are new to the role of capital projects
Derek Smith, President/Lead Facilitator - Constructionlab
Offering clients over 25 years of construction industry experience in Canada, Derek is a trained design professional having practiced for over 15 years of his career collaborating on over $300 million in built or contemplated ICI and residential projects. As the CEO of the London & District Construction Association (2007-2012) he acted as employer bargaining agent to General Contractors in a successful strike free round (2010). In 2009 Derek led the development of Canada's first BIM training lab to be housed in an industry association and at the same time founded the Canada BIM Council (CANBIM). Derek is also a recognized mediator, in construction disputes and holds membership with ADR Institute of Ontario. His work has led to developing a firm commitment to balancing interests of project stakeholders, leading to improved on-site and organizational productivity. In 2020, Constructionlab Ltd. founded the Construction and Design Educators Council of Canada, with a mission of connecting educators, storytellers, mentors and affiliates to professional and workforce development opportunities for the industry from coast to coast to coast.